Brigham City Fire Department Photo
September 10, 2018 • Nelson Phillips • Staff Writer
An unattended stove burner has been pinpointed as the cause of a fire that took the lives of three dogs at a Brigham City mobile home park on Sunday.
According to Brigham City officials, the fire was reported Sunday afternoon shortly before 4 p.m. at 1060 South Main in unit number 2. Units from Brigham City Fire, as well as Willard and Corinne arrived on scene by 4:04, and had the fire extinguished by 4:32 p.m.
None of the three human residents were home, however, three dogs that were inside the home at the time of the fire were killed.
"Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental, and caused by an unattended stove-top which had been left in the on position," said Brigham City Fire Marshal Michael Young.
Young also reported there were no working smoke detectors found in the mobile home.
Damages to the home are estimated to be in the $15,000 range. The three residents displaced by the fire have reportedly found shelter with friends and neighbors.
In a statement, the Brigham City Fire Department urged homeowners and renters to never leave a stove-top unattended "for any length of time," and to exercise caution while cooking. The statement also urged homeowners to have a fire extinguisher nearby, and to ensure that working smoke detectors are present on every level of a home.
Box Elder News Journal
PO BOX 370
Brigham City, UT 84302
PHONE 435.723.3471 FAX 435.723.5247